How to make Chinese Shrimp Balls
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: main, side
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Chinese
Chinese shrimp balls make a delicious appetizer. The shrimp balls are nicely seasoned and have water chestnuts added for some crunch.
That is perfect for serving to hungry guests before the big feast. And, much of this can be made in advance for quick and easy serving!
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 1/ 4 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tsp cornstarch, as needed
- 1 egg
- 8 freshwater chestnuts
- 1 lb. medium shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp rice wine or rice vinegar
- ½ green onion, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- First, heat the oil for deep frying to 350 ° F
- Soak the shrimps in warm, lightly salted water for 5 minutes.
- Pat dry on paper towels
- Mince and mix well the shrimp and water chestnuts.
- Mix the green onion, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, egg, pepper, and cornstarch.
- Form your mixture into small balls.
- Next, add the shrimp balls to the hot oil gradually, adding only a few at a time so as not to overcrowd the oil-heated wok.
- Deep fry the balls approximately for 4 minutes, turning constantly, until they are crispy and golden.
- Then, remove and drain on paper towels.Lastly, serve the shrimp balls with sweet and sour sauce, hot mustard, or plum sauce.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 658 mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 17g
- Cholesterol: 183mg
Keywords: Shrimp Balls