Chinese General Tso’s Chicken easy Recipe
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 45
- Category: Main, Side
- Method: Deep-Fried
- Cuisine: Chinese
Just about everyone has tried Chinese General Tso’s Chicken – deep-fried chicken pieces in a sweet, subtly spicy sauce with crunchy broccoli.
This is always a take-out favorite and it’s really not too difficult to make at home.
- 4 pieces chicken fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
For the marinade and sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
For coating and deep-frying
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 2 green onions, chopped
- First, combine the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
- Separate ⅓ cup of the marinade and use it to marinate the chicken for 30 minutes, refrigerated. Set aside the remaining, for the sauce.
- Heat a wok over high and heat the oil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high, and add the garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes.
- Sauté until fragrant. Stir in the remaining sauce mixture (about 2 cups) and cook, continually stirring, until thickened. Remove it from the heat and cover. Keep it warm.
- Next, in a bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients for the coating, and mix until theconsistency is similar to a coarse meal. Drain the marinated chicken and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Then, dip each piece in the egg whites and then coat with the cornstarch mixture. Fry the chicken at 350°F until it is golden brown (about 3 minutes).
- Drain on paper towels. Reheat the sauce to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 513
Keywords: General Tso's Chicken