Turn this Chinese Fried Wontons into dinner and serve with a salad of shredded cabbage, carrot matchsticks, thinly sliced red onion and cucumber ribbons.
1 pack (about 50 pieces) wonton wrappers
Oil for frying
For the filling
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 tbsp scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- ½ tsp sugar 1 tbsp peanut oil
- ⅛ tsp ground white pepper
For the dipping sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
For the filling
- Combine all ingredients for the filling. Then, mix thoroughly, with your hands or a food processor, until the mixture is paste-like in consistency.
To make the wontons
- First, line a baking sheet or tray with parchment paper. Place a wrapper on a plate or clean surface and put about a tsp of filling in the center.
- Moisten the wrapper with a dab of water around the filling. This will help
- the sides of the wrapper to stick together. Fold into either a rectangle or a triangle, pressing the edges together to seal.
- For rectangles, bring bottom corners together until they overlap, moisten with water, and press to seal.
- For triangles, bring the side corners together until they overlap and seal.
- Repeat until the filling is used up.
- Arrange the wontons on the lined baking sheet, leaving space to prevent sticking. To store them, cover with plastic wrap and freeze. They keep for two months when frozen.
For dipping sauce
- Prepare the sauce before frying the wontons, so the flavors can meld while the sauce is left standing. Simply whisk the sauce ingredients together in your bowl.
- Heat enough oil for frying in a wok or pan over medium heat. The oil
- should approximately be 2 to 3 inches deep.
- Fry the wontons in batches, turning over if needed, or keeping them submerged for even frying.
- Let them drain on paper towels.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 352
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 490mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
Keywords: Fried Wontons